Beautycounter

Friday, May 30, 2014

Baby Food Stage

This next transition was hard for me.  I was not looking forward to the fact that Jones wouldn't just be bottle fed.  I waited until after his 6 month birthday to try any solid food.  We started with avocado, which he really liked.  Then we gave him a couple tastes of banana which he surprisingly didn't like.  This last weekend he tried sweet potatoes and loved it.  I went a couple days not giving him solids at dinner and he woke up both of those nights wanting a bottle.  So it's official, the little guy needs solid food.  I have to get over it.  It's funny because I never saw myself as someone that would have a hard time with these transitional stages, but I do!!

So far everything he's tried has been homemade, which I'm very grateful for.  But realistically I know that I won't always have that option and at this point it's necessary for him to have a little more than just a bottle each day at dinner.

So began the research of what baby foods I would be willing to use.  I decided to share this to spare others the time I spent on researching all of this and driving around to stores.  My requirements were that they had to be certified organic, in BPA free containers and sugar free.  I also used this Food Babe article to help me weed through the ingredients that seem harmless.  Even though it's a article about coffee this was sadly relevant to most baby food because of this section of the article:

"Look out for these hidden GMO ingredients: Amino Acids, Aspartame, Ascorbic Acid, Sodium Ascorbate, Vitamin C, Citric Acid, Sodium Citrate, Flavorings (“natural” and “artificial”), High Fructose Corn Syrup, Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein, Lactic Acid, Maltodextrins, Molasses, Monosodium Glutamate, Sucrose, Textured Vegetable Protein (TVP), Xanthan Gum, Vitamins, Yeast Products"

I started on Amazon since I buy pretty much everything on there.  They also usually have a picture for the nutritional and ingredient labels so that you can read it before purchasing.  The first brand I cam across was Plum Organics.  Everything looked great until I got to their Puffs and noticed that they added cane sugar.  So I crossed them off the list.  The next brand was Happy Baby and everything looked great until I saw that they added Ascorbic Acid.  So that was eliminated.  Then I went through all of the other brands one by one:


  • Amara (great brand, but you have to add water)
  • Earth's Best 
  • Ella's Kitchen (no label photos so I had to wait until I got to the store to check out ingredients)
  • Gerber
  • Peter Rabbit Organics
  • Sprout
















After going through all of these and double checking ingredients at the store, I narrowed it down to two brands:  Ella's Kitchen and Peter Rabbit Organics


Now that I had the brands narrowed down I was on the hunt for the lowest price.  Amazon has two options for Peter Rabbit that are "subscribe and save" options that are the best price I've found.  But since I would like a variety I will purchase the majority through (surprise!) Walmart.  It's really encouraging to see such a large chain carry quality organic healthy baby products.  I would love to have all of the baby food delivered to my door through Amazon, but we'll just stock up every once in a while through Walmart unless Amazon starts carrying more flavors that have the "subscribe and save" option.  Walmart also has some 10 pack options on line that come out as a better deal if you buy online, but you have to buy $50 for free shipping.  Same with Target, but Target isn't a convenient stop for me.


***sorry for the weird highlighting, when I copied pasted the portion of the article and list of baby foods it seemed to have highlighted things weird.  I'm not techi enough to know how to change it lol
















2 comments:

Heather said...

Hi Nichole! I'm Heather and I was hoping you would be able to answer my question about your blog! If you could email me at Lifesabanquet1(at)gmail(dot)com that would be great!

Nga Phan said...

I love Plum Organics for puree. They have many options that don't have any additives (just pure/organic fruit and veggie ingredients) but they do carry some that have things like citric acid so it's important to read the label.